Ginisang Upo with pork is a simple yet delicious and filling dish you can serve with your family.
Upo or bottle gourd squash is so versatile that you can mix it with other proteins such as chicken, seafoods like shrimp and squid.
You can even sauté it with canned goods like sardines and tuna.
What is Upo Vegetable
Locally known as upo, this vegetable is also known as calabash, white-flowered gourd, long melon. It grows in vine and belong to Cucurbitaceae family.
It is native to tropical Africa but widely cultivated in tropical places in the world like Asia.
The young fruit is used as vegetable and one of the ingredients in a number of food preparations.
However, the mature ones are made into container, utensils and ornaments like dippers, water bottles, spoon and others.
How do you clean and cut upo or bottlegourd
Peel the green skin of the bottle gourd. Then cut the flesh into thin circles. Depending on the size and circumference of the gourd, you may cut the circles further into half or quarters.
Remember however, that the thinner and smaller you cut it, the quicker it will cook.
This dish calls for only few ingredients. They are the following:
2 cups – Sliced Upo
1 cup – Pork Belly – cut into small chunks or strips
2 tablespoon soy sauce
3 cloves garlic
1 medium sized onion
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoon Cooking oil
1/2 cup Water or more
salt – as needed
Other Veggie Recipes You May Try
Other Pork and Veggie Recipes that Might Interest you
How to Cook Ginisang Upo
Put oil in the pan and add in the pork. Saute the pork until brown/ish under medium heat.
Move the pork on the other side of the pan and on the other side, saute onion and garlic until translucent and aromatic.
Add fish sauce, ground black pepper, soy sauce and water. Mix well. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Add the sliced upo or bottle gourd and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until upo is well-cooked.
Adjust taste to your liking. Add salt as needed. Transfer to a serving plate and serve.
GINISANG UPO WITH PORK (SAUTÉED BOTTLE GOURD WITH PORK)
- Cooking Pan
- 1 cup Pork belly cut into thin strips
- 2 cups Upo (bottle gourd) sliced
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 medium sized onion minced
- 1 teaspoon Fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1/2 cup Water or more
- Salt as needed
- Put oil in the pan and add in the pork. Saute the pork until brown/ish under medium heat.
- Move the pork on the other side of the pan and on the other side, saute onion and garlic until translucent and aromatic.
- Add fish sauce, ground black pepper, soy sauce and water. Mix well. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sliced upo or bottle gourd and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until upo is well-cooked.
- Adjust taste to your liking. Add salt as needed. Transfer to a serving plate and serve.
- Do not overcook the bottle gourd for it will turn soggy. It should remain a bit crispy.
- Fish sauce and soy sauce is already salty. So easy on the salt. Add only when needed.
Follow us on: