Vegan Mung Bean Soup Curry with Coconut Milk is a creamy, delicious and comforting food to devour. In this recipe, Mung Beans is boiled and stewed until tender. It is then added to sauteed garlic and onions mixed with coconut cream and curry making this aromatic food a joy to feast on.
What are Mung Beans
Mung Beans is also known as green gram, maash ( Persian), moong. In the Philippines it is called monggo or monggos in the Visayan region, a small green beans that belong to the legume family. It is cultivated in Asia and consumed in either savory or sweet recipes.
I personally grow up consuming mung beans and we used to farm it when I was young. I love the fact that this bean is so versatile and you don’t need to soak it in water overnight.
We usually consume it savory in our vegetable soup. We also use it as snack by just adding sugar to it.
Mung Bean Soup Curry Ingredients
This recipe has only few ingredients. Here are the following:
1. Mung Beans -1 cup
2. Coconut Milk / cream -2 cups
3. Tomato Sauce – 200 grams
4. Curry Powder – 1 tbsp
5. Onions – 1 medium sized, chopped
6. Garlic – 5 cloves, chopped
7. Ginger – 1 medium-sized thumb, chopped
8. Salt – a pinch or as desired
9. Cooking Oil – 2 tbsp
11. Water – 4 cups
How to make Vegan Mung Bean Soup Curry with Coconut Milk
Start with the mung beans. First, in a cooking pot, boil the mung beans about 30 minutes or until it becomes tender. Transfer it to a bowl and set aside.
In the same pan, place 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and saute onions, garlic and ginger. Add in the curry then the tomato sauce. Saute for 2 minutes.
Now, place the tenderized mung beans in the cooking pot. Let it simmer for 3 minutes. Add in the coconut milk or cream. Simmer again for 3 minutes. Taste the soup and add salt if needed and desired. Add in the spinach and simmer for another 1 minute and you are done. Enjoy!
What Other Vegetables you can Use in your Vegan Mung Bean Soup Curry
I like the fact that this Mung Bean recipe is so versatile. You can actually eat it on its own without adding greens to it. But if you are like me who adore green veggies, you actually have numerous options. Aside from malabar spinach which I am using in this recipe, you can also use cabbage, pechay or bok choy, moringa leaves or malunggay. They work well in this recipe.
Can You Add Meat in this Recipe
Absolutely. Mung Bean Soup Curry is so versatile that if you want it meaty, you can actually do it. I’ve done it before and my carnivorous loves were raving how good it is. You may add pork or chicken meat with this recipe. Add the meat when you are sauteing the garlic and onions with ginger.
Other Vegan Recipes You Might Like
Vegan Mung Bean Soup Curry with Coconut Milk
- Cooking Pot
- 1 cup Mung Beans
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 200 grams Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 medium-sized Onions chopped
- 1 medium-sized Ginger chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic chopped
- pinch Salt
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 cup Spinach leaves
- 4 cups Water used in boiling the mung beans to tenderize it
- Boil the 1 cup mung beans with 4 cups of water about 30 minutes or until it becomes tender. Transfer it to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, place 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and saute onions, garlic and ginger. Add in the curry then the tomato sauce. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Place the tenderized mung beans in the cooking pot. Let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add in the coconut milk or cream. Simmer again for 3 minutes.
- Taste the soup and add salt if needed and desired. Add in the spinach and simmer for another 1 minute and you are done. Enjoy!
- You can add 1 tsp of cumin powder when you saute the spices. I did not add cumin in this recipe because the aroma is too much for my hubby. [I'm afraid he will not eat it and I am not cooking other recipe for our lunch 🙂 ]
- I am using freshly pressed coconut milk because it is available at hand. You can use canned coconut cream if that is what's available to you.
Follow us on:
Pinterest | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube
Be part of our VIP List
Eat easy and yummy foods plus get access to our freebie library.