Sinigang na Danggit is a delicious soup recipe consisting of rabbit fish in a sour and savory soup mixed with vegatables.
Rabbit fish or spinefoot fish locally known as Danggit is delicious. There are many ways to cook it but they are mostly known dried. Dried danggit fish is popular all over the Philippines most particularly in Cebu.
I recently did my marketing for our food supply and went around to look for fish. The fresh danggit fish caught my eyes and decided to buy 4 pieces because their sizes are a bit big. Sinigang na danggit right away came to mind.
Sinigang na Danggit Ingredients
Ingredients for this recipe is simple and easy to source. Of course you need danggit which is the star of this dish. Then you will need some vegetables like taro, eggplant, lady’s finger, and string beans. You will also have the lemongrass for good aroma, spring onions, water spinach leaves, ginger, tomato, chilli pepper or siling haba.
Sharing to you this recipe:
Sinigang na Danggit
- Cooking Pot
- 400 grams Danggit cleaned
- 1 cup Water spinach leaves
- 2 medium size Tomatoes
- 3 pcs String beans cut into small pieces
- 1 small taro peeled, sliced into small pieces
- 5 pcs Lady's finger
- 1 piece Lemongrass
- 3 pcs Spring onions cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 5 pcs Chilli Peppers
- 4 cups Water
- 1 pc Tamarind Sinigang Mix
- 1 thumb Ginger minced
- 1 pinch Salt
- Place 4 cups of water to a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the taro. Let it cook for 5 minutes in a medium heat.
- Add ginger, tomatoes, lemongrass and tamarind sinigang mix.
- Add string beans and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add eggplant, lady's finger, chilli pepper and spring onions. Simmer for 3 minutes
- Add the Danggit fish and water spinach. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and msg (optional) if desired. (adjust taste to your liking)
- Do not overcook the fish for the bones of the fish will spread over and mixed with the soup.
- You may add msg if you like. A substitute for msg is a little pinch of brown sugar.
How to Cook Sinigang na Danggit Video: