Kinilaw na Tuna Malasugue is an excellent starter for any meal. It is a great appetizer that will set the mood for your favorite fare.
Kinilaw na Malasugue is a favorite in my family. My little Pumpkin who learns to love sashimi also appreciates this dish recently and learns to love it as well.
What is Kinilaw?
Kinilaw comes from the word “kilaw” which means eaten raw. A fish is being cleaned, sliced in desired size and mixed in vinegar and spices and chilli if you want it spicy.
It is the sourness of the vinegar and other acidic ingredients such as lime/lemon or calamansi that cooked the kinilaw.
Kinilaw is similar to American ceviche which originated from Peru.
Kinilaw is used as an appetizer in the Philippines. But others use is as boozepetizer or pulutan in drinking sessions. Others also make kinilaw as main dish.
Kinilaw na Tuna Malasugue Ingredients
There are only few basic ingredients for this recipe. These are the fish, lime or lemon and spices like onions, ginger, cucumber and radish and vinegar and salt to taste.
However, there are regional distinctions the way kinilaw is prepared in the Philippines. In the Visayan region, they usually add tomatoes to it. Other places add coconut milk to their kinilaw.
Some enhanced versions are added with some ingredients that intensify its flavors like green mango and pomelo. I have tried this kind of kinilaw and it is indeed delicious.
Can You Make Ahead this Kinilaw
Kinilaw is best eaten right after you mix everything together.
However, if you want to eat it for a later time in the day, you just prepare all the ingredients but do not mix yet the vinegar and other acidic ingredients to the fish because if you do so, the fish will turn out chewy and will lose its freshness as it will be “cooked” by the vinegar.
How to make ahead kinilaw?
- Keep the fish refrigerated to keep its freshness. If you are going out for a picnic or in a beach, put it in an ice box.
- Slice the ingredients ahead like cucumber and radish and put it in separate zip-lock containers.
- Prepare the spices and slice it, put them in separate containers just like the other ingredients.
- Be ready with your vinegar, lemon, salt and other ingredients.
- Once you are about to take your meal, mix everything together including your fish and enjoy your kinilaw.
How to Make Kinilaw na Tuna Malasugue?
Kinilaw na Tuna Malasugue
- Serving Bowl, Serving Dish
- 1/4 kilo Tuna Malasugue Fish sliced in cubes
- 1 cup Vinegar for washing the fish
- 2 tbsp Vinegar for the vinaigrette
- 1 small Cucumber sliced in thin wedges
- 1 small Radish sliced in thin wedges
- 1 thumb Ginger minced or sliced in small cubes
- 1 medium Onion sliced in small pieces
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 3 pcs Chili optional, this is if you want your kinilaw spicy
- 3 pcs Lemon
- 1 tsp Salt
- Wash the fish with a cup of vinegar, remove it from the vinegar, squeezing any remaining liquid and put it in a mixing bowl.
- Add in the sliced cucumber, radish, onions, ginger.
- Add in the 3 tablespoonfuls of vinegar, sugar and salt and mix well.
- Squeeze in the juice of the lemons.
- Add in hot chilli pepper if you want it spicy.
- Place it in a serving dish and enjoy!
Be part of our VIP List
Eat easy and yummy foods plus get access to our freebie library.