Galinhada or Brazilian Chicken and Rice is a delicious recipe. It is my first time trying this recipe and it is indeed yummy.
United Nations Month
It is the month of October and schools in my area usually celebrate United Nations in commemoration of the interstate cooperation that promotes human rights, social progress and peace that happened on October 24, 1945. Activities usually consist of wearing costumes depending of what country that is assigned to the students.
Foods, arts and crafts including traditions and culture are also depicted in the form of dance, displays, exhibits and booths. In this case, our assigned country is Brazil. Yay, Ariba Brazil!
What is Galinhada or Brazilian Chicken and Rice
Galinhada is a stew of chicken and rice with spices and veggies that originated from the large inland State of Southeastern Brazil called Minas Girais.
Galinhada has evolved and has many versions just like any dish. Garnishes and veggies added to it reflects the creativity of the one cooking it. However, the process of doing galinhada and the staples like chicken, rice, turmeric or saffron remain the same.
This recipe has just easy to source ingredients.
500 grams chicken breasts (or a whole chicken, or any part of the chicken that you love)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minces
-1 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves (optional)
parsley and green onion, for garnish -salt, pepper, and lime to marinade the chicken
How to make Galinhada or Brazilian Chicken and Rice
You have to marinate the chicken in salt, pepper and lime for 30 minutes to 2 hours. But also, you can marinate it overnight so that the flavors of the marinade will be absorbed by the chicken.
Then you have to brown it by frying in a coconut oil or any cooking oil available to you once you are done marinating the chicken.
Set aside the chicken and in the same pan, saute the garlic, onions and bell peppers. Drizzle the turmeric for added nutrition and color. Add the rice and mix it well with the spices. Also, add the green peas and corn and mix well. Put in again the browned chicken.
You can now add the chicken broth. Just enough to cover the rice and the chicken. Adjust the taste by adding some salt if needed. Simmer for 10-20 minutes. Done!
Brazilian Chicken and Rice Recipe (Galinhada)
- Cooking Pot
- 500 grams Chicken Sliced into pieces
- 1 pc Onions Choped and diced
- 4 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 cup Uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1/2 cup Corn kernel optional
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- pinch Turmeric
- 1/2 slice Lime 2 lemons can be a substitute
- 2 pcs Scallions sliced
- 1/2 cup Parsley sliced
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth you may use water if chicken broth is unavailable
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces. Season it with salt, pepper, and lime juice. Let it marinade overnight or for a few hours.
- In a large pot, add oil and cook the chicken for a while...until it gets brown! Set aside the chicken.
- In the same pan, saute the garlic, onions and bell peppers. Drizzle the turmeric for added nutrition and color.
- Then add the rice and fry it for a few minutes. Then add the chicken broth, bay leaves, salt and pepper including the green peas and corn.
- Leave it to cook until the water is evaporated and the rice is cooked.
Then serve it with parsley and green onions!!