Spamsilog is short for spam, garlic fried rice or locally known as sinangag, and sunny side up egg or locally known as itlog. This is a popular Filipino breakfast dish. It is delicious and a great breakfast choice.
What is Spamsilog
Spamsilog is a Filipino spam fried rice with egg dish that is a favorite breakfast staple. In this dish, canned spam is sliced then fried. Sunny side up egg is cooked and then garlic fried rice makes the plate perfect for breakfast.
Spamsilog is one of the many Silog breakfast recipes that is popular in the Philippines. Other silog dishes are tapsilog (tapa, sinangag and itlog), cornsilog (corned beef, sinangag, itlog), bangsilog (fried bangus, sinangag, itlog), tocilog (tocino, sinangag, itlog), to name a few.
American Influence in the Philippines Over Canned Goods
Philippines have been colonized by several nations in the past. When the Americans colonized the Philippines, they taught the locals how to speak English and they influence the locals to eat American foods as well including hamburgers, canned foods like corned beef and spam.
spam – there are various kinds of canned spam that are available in the market. Feel free to choose which one you prefer.
egg – this is for the sunny side up egg
cooked rice – use this for the fried rice.
garlic – for the garlic rice
soy sauce – to give color to the fried rice
salt – to season the fried rice
cooking oil – for frying the spam, egg and fried rice
- Open the canned spam and slice it according to your desired thickness.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the spam under low to medium heat until both sides are golden brown. Set aside.
- In the same pan, cook sunny side up egg then set aside.
- It is now time to cook the fried rice. In the same pan, cook and stir garlic until aromatic and translucent. Add the cooked fried rice and mix well with the garlic. Add soy sauce and a bit of salt. Mix well and cook for about 2 minutes and it is done.
Other Breakfast Recipes You May Try
Spamsilog Recipe Card
Spamsilog (Spam, Garlic Fried Rice and Egg)
- Frying Pan
- 1 can spam sliced
- 3 medium fresh eggs
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- Open the canned spam and slice it based on your preferred thickness.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the spam and flip the other side for even cooking. Set aside once both sides are golden brown.
- In the same pan, cook the sunny side up eggs and set aside once done.
- Using the same pan, cook and stir garlic until aromatic and brownish. Add rice and mix well. Add soy sauce and salt. Mix well together and cook for about 2 minutes and it is done.
- For plating, put a cup of the fried rice, a sunny side-up egg and the spam and serve.