This refreshing Filipino cantaloupe juice is so good. Enjoy the sweet cold juice with its shredded flesh to beat that scorching summer heat. You only need ripe cantaloupe, cold water and sugar to make this rejuvenating juice to enjoy.
Cantaloupe is abundant in the Philippines especially during summertime when harvest are at its peak in the months of June-August.
You can often see ambulant vendors in Philippine streets selling this delicious juice. They are always a hit just like the popular buko juice or young coconut juice that are also popular and common in the tropical Philippines.
What is Cantaloupe Juice
Cantaloupe juice or melon juice is made from shredding the flesh of cantaloupe fruit using a special kind of tool- a Filipino grater or shredder. If you don’t have the tool, you can simply use fork to produce long strips of cantaloupe flesh. It is then mixed with cold water and sugar or syrup or milk as a sweetener to produce a simple yet refreshing drink.
Items You Need to Make Filipino Cantaloupe Juice
Cantaloupe – you will get cantaloupe from supermarket’s fresh produce area or you can have it in the fruits area in the market. It is usually cheaper there.
I usually bulk buy cantaloupe in the market because they are more affordable. Ripe ones have more intense orange in color while the not-so-ripe ones are on the green/ish side.
I mix- buy both ripe and green ones. We consume the ripe ones first and the green ones will ripen also few days later. In this way, I have a week’s supply of the fruit.
Sugar – You can use either granulated sugar or brown sugar for this juice. I am using granulated sugar or white sugar for this cantaloupe juice recipe because it is the one available at the moment.
Cold Water – use cold water when mixing your juice so that you can enjoy it at once when you are done making it. You may also add ice cubes to make it cooler.
Vanilla extract – for that extra vanilla flavor
Condensed milk – if you want to use milk instead of sugar or you can use half -and-half of sugar and milk
Evaporated milk – if you want to add milk to your juice
Step-by-Step Instructions on Juicing Cantaloupe
- Slice the cantaloupe fruit and remove the seeds using a spoon. Use a sharp kitchen knife to cut the cantaloupe in half crosswise. If you are using the Filipino grater, the other end of the grater is a spoon so you can just use it to remove the seeds. Otherwise, use a separate spoon.
2. Shred the flesh of the cantaloupe to create those lovely strips. Is is so easy and quick to do this using the shredder tool. However, if you don’t have it, simply use a fork. Use the fork tines to create lines on the cantaloupe flesh. Then scrape it with spoon. You will still get those lovely strips of cantaloupe pulp.
3. Put the shredded cantaloupe to a pitcher with cold water. Add sugar to make it sweet and mix well until sugar is dissolved.
4. Transfer to a glass with ice cubes. Share and enjoy.
Tips, Variations Substitutions
- Use a ripe cantaloupe when juicing. The more ripe the fruit, the sweeter is its flesh.
- You can use maple syrup to substitute sugar if you like.
- It is best to consume your cantaloupe juice right away if you are using milk for the taste will turn bitter if consumed later.
- You can store this juice in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Cantaloupe Juice Benefits
There are numerous benefits of consuming cantaloupe, some of which are the following:
- Cantaloupe juice is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants.
- It is rich in fiber and aids digestion.
- It aids in hydration. Just like any melon, cantaloupe has high water content and electrolytes. It is one of the best way to hydrate yourself during hot summer weather or after a workout.
- Prevents caner – since it is rich in antioxidants, cantaloupe help body fight cell damage and cancer.
- It reduces you risk of asthma.
Why You Will Love this Filipino Cantaloupe Juice
- It is so refreshing and can quench your thirst from the scorching heat of summer.
- It is so fast and easy to make.
- You only need few items to make this juice.
- You will get the benefits of consuming this delectable fruit – vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- it is simply delicious and filling. You can have it for your afternoon snack.
Other Beverages You May Try
Cantaloupe Juice Recipe Card
Filipino Cantaloupe Juice (Melon Juice)
- 1 medium cantaloupe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups water cold
- 1/2 cup ice cubes optional
- Cut the cantaloupe fruit crosswise and remove the seeds using spoon.
- Shred the cantaloupe using shredder or fork.
- Add the shredded cantaloupe to a pitcher with cold water.
- Add sugar to sweeten the juice.
- Transfer to a glass with ice cubes. Share and enjoy!