Make this delicious and famous Korean corn dogs right at the comfort of your home. It is stretchy, delicious and is sure to delight your loved ones. This Korean mozarella corn dogs is good or even better than a takeaway. Homemade is the best.
What is Korean Corn Dog
Korean corn dog or Korean hot dog is a popular street food in Korea that became famous in its neighboring Asian countries and all over the world. It is made of hotdogs and slices of cheese put into skewers dipped in a flour and milk batter.
It is then dredged in breadcrumbs then deep fried resulting to a cheesy, crunchy and filling appetizer or snack. You can top it with ketchup, hot sauce or mustard.
Others call it Korean fried cheese because the cheese and hot dogs are being deep fried in this style of cooking.
Korean Corn Dog Ingredients
Hot dogs – I am using cocktail hotdogs for this recipe because they are small. I do not need to cut them in half. However, you can use whatever hotdog you prefer.
If it is too long, you can cut it halfway to have equal parts of mozarella cheese and hotdogs on your skewers.
Mozarella Cheese – for that delicious stretchy fried cheese on your corn dogs.
All-purpose flour – you need this when you make the batter to coat your corn dogs.
Salt – to balance the flavor of the batter
Granulated Sugar – this will make the batter a bit sweet.
Egg – this will bind the batter and help it stick to the corn dogs.
Milk – use this to mix the batter. I am using fresh milk for the batter.
Breadcrumbs – I am using good and premium leftover breadcrumbs from my air fryer chicken patties. You may use panko bread crumbs or any breadcrumbs available at hand. It will work and will not change anything.
Cooking Oil – this is for frying the corn dogs. I am using vegetable oil here. Feel free to use your preferred cooking oil. Either canola oil or coconut oil works best.
Wooden skewers – you will need this to skewer the cheese and hot dogs.
Prepare the cheese and hot dogs
As mentioned above, I use cocktail hot dogs for they are already small and they are the perfect size of the corn dogs that I plan to make.
If you are using longer hot dogs, you may cut them in half or in 3 pieces. The beauty of making this corn dogs at home is there are no hard and fast rules. You can make them and cut them the way you like.
Go on then to prepare the cheese. I am using a mozarella block then cut them in sizes that is similar to the hot dog. You can use mozarella cheese sticks and they will work fine as well.
The key here is to make the thickness of the mozarella cheese and hot dogs as close as possible for easier and even coating of the batter.
The first batch of the corn dogs that I made is not evenly coated because the cheese slices are a bit thicker than the hot dogs. The second batch, the one in the picture are way better because I adjusted the cutting size of the cheese. This small and simple details makes a huge difference on the final result of the corn dogs.
It is now time to skewer the cheese and hot dogs. I put the hot dogs first then followed by the cheese. I purposely do this so that it will be the cheese that will be eaten on the first bite. So yummy.
You can arrange it however you like. The choice is yours.
Set aside the skewered cheese and hot dogs for now for we will make the batter.
Make the corn dog batter
Put sifted all-purpose flour in a mixing bowl. Add in the salt and sugar. Whisk egg and milk and then mix all together until smooth.
Transfer the mixture to a thin tall glass. Prepare bread crumbs in a separate shallow plate.
Coat the skewered corn dogs in the batter mixture then cover with the bread crumbs. Do the same with the rest of the corn dogs. Make sure the corn dogs are well-coated.
Fry the corn dogs
It is now time to cook the corn dogs by deep frying. Put cooking oil in a skillet under high heat and fry the corn dogs.
Fry the corn dogs for two to three minutes or until golden brown flipping halfway while cooking to evenly cook them.
The cooking oil must be hot enough so that the corn dogs will be cooked right away when you put them into the oil. This is also a way for the mozarella cheese not to burst while cooking.
Why Making Cheesy Korean Hot Dogs Work
- Making it at home gives you the power to make it however you like. You can do whatever you want. You may use any type of hotdog or sausage.
- Get creative in its final coating. Aside from the usual coating which is breadcrumbs, you can use slices of potatoes or potato fries or instant noodle crumbs.
- Cheesy and crispy hot dogs is delicious and can make you full. You can have it for a snack or even a meal because it is already heavy.
Difference Between Korean Corn Dogs and American Corn Dogs
- The American corn dog often use cornmeal while the Korean version does not.
- The American version uses buttermilk but the Korean one uses fresh milk or any milk.
- Korean cheesy hot dogs is coated with bread crumbs before being fried. Its American counterpart does not. It usually go straight to the deep fryer once it is coated with the cornmeal and buttermilk batter.
What to do with the Leftover Batter
If you are making this corn dogs, most likely you will have some leftover batter. You can repurpose it into a pancake.
This batter is like pancake but it is just more sticky. You can make it more runny by adding more milk or even water to achieve a pancake consistency.
Yay, no food waste at all.
Korean corn Dog recipe Card
Korean Corn Dogs
- Frying Pan
- 12 small hot dogs
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (white sugar)
- 1 large raw egg
- 3/4 cup fresh milk
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Cut the cheese and hot dogs in similar sizes and thickness. Put the hot dog followed by the cheese in the skewer then set aside.
- Put the all-purpose flour in a mixing bowl. Add in the salt, sugar, egg and milk. Mix them well using a whisk until smooth and a little sticky. Transfer the mixture to a tall thin glass to easily coat the corn dogs.
- Prepare bread crumbs in a separate shallow plate.
- Soak the skewered corn dogs in the batter mixture then cover with bread crumbs.
- Fry the corn dogs in cooking oil for 2-3 minutes in high heat until golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Top with ketchup, mustard or any sauce of your choice. Share and enjoy.
Be part of our VIP List
Eat easy and yummy foods plus get access to our freebie library.