Escabeche also known as Filipino sweet and sour fish is a delicious style of cooking in which fish is fried and then sprinkled with the sweet and sour sauce mixture with carrots, ginger, bell peppers.
This tangy, sweet and sour recipe is a delicious filling meal perfect paired with rice.
Sweet and Sour Fish Ingredients
These are the following ingredients to make this dish:
Fish – I am using salmon fillet.
Vinegar – this is the source of sourness for this dish.
Sugar – to make it sweet.
Onion – one of the spices that makes this sweet and sour delicious.
Garlic – a 2-3 cloves of minced garlic is good enough for this dish.
Ginger – julienned fresh ginger add flavor and aroma to this fish.
Carrots – this adds vibrant color to this fish recipe.
Bell peppers – combination of red and green add festive color aside from the flavors they add to this yummy dish.
salt and pepper – seasonings to flavor it.
ketchup – we are adding ketchup in order to add the red/ish color.
corn starch – for slurry to thicken the sauce.
Cooking oil – used to fry the fish and to saute onion and garlic.
Water- use for slurry.
Fishes that you may use for your escabeche
As mentioned above, I am using fillet salmon because that is what is available in my kitchen. However, you have so much options for fishes to make this recipe. You may also opt for fillet or whole fish. It is totally up to your desire.
So, here goes some fish options for your sweet and sour fish.
- cream dory
- mahi mahi
How to Cook Escabeche
Fry the fish in the frying pan using vegetable oil and set aside.
Saute onion, garlic and ginger in a sauce pan under medium heat using vegetable oil.
Add salt and pepper followed by the carrots and bell peppers and saute for 1 minute.
Add vinegar, white sugar and simmer for 1 minute. Add the ketchup and mix well.
In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch with water to form a slurry and add into the pan and mix it well.
Simmer for a minute or until desired thickness of the sauce is achieved. You may add a bit of water if needed.
Pour the sauce mixture to the fried fish and enjoy. It is best paired with rice.
Other Seafood Recipes you can try
ESCABECHE (FILIPINO SWEET AND SOUR FISH)
- Frying Pan
- Sauce Pan
- 1 lb Salmon Fish Fillet
- 3 tbsp Vinegar
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1 pc Onion medium-size, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 pc Carrots small, julienned
- 1 thumb Ginger big thumb, julienned
- 1/2 pc Red and Green Bell Peppers Julienned
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Ketchup
- 1/2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 5 tbsp Water to mix with cornstarch for slurry
- 1 cup Cooking oil to fry the fish
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil to saute spices
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the fish and set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic and ginger in cooking oil under medium heat. Season with salt and pepper and stirring occasionally to mix well.
- Add in the carrots, bell peppers and saute for 1 minute
- Add vinegar, white sugar and simmer for 1 more minute.
- Add the ketchup and mix well. In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch with water to form a slurry and add into the pan and mix it well. Simmer for a minute or until desired thickness of the sauce is achieved. You may add a bit of water if needed.
- Pour the sauce mixture to the fried fish and enjoy. It is best paired with rice.
- Some brands of vinegar are so sour. So, you may adjust the number of spoons of the vinegar to add when cooking your sweet and sour fish sauce depending on your taste. The goal is to create the perfect balance of sweetness and sourness of the sauce and not overwhelm each other.
Follow us on: