How to cook mussels in spicy ginger broth? This you are going to learn today. It is just simple and easy.
We occasionally cook mussels when they are available fresh in the wet market. We usually love it spicy.
What are Mussels
It is a kind of bivalve molluscs that can be found in saltwater and freshwater habitats. They are rounded or oval in shape and colored green/ish, brownish and some are a combination of black, brown and green.
You only need few items for this recipe. Fresh mussels is obviously the star of this dish.
- Mussels or tahong
- Ground Pepper
- Red Bell Pepper
- Siling labuyo or hot chilli peppers or chilli powder (to make it spicy)
- Cooking Oil
- Spring onions for garnish
How to Clean Mussels
Mussels usually have some sands with their shells. Some of them have also sea moss. So, you have to wash them several times and remove the accompanying moss in the shell before cooking.
How to Cook Mussels in Spicy Ginger Broth
It is just easy and fast to cook mussels locally known as tahong in our local dialect. Start by cleaning the mussels.
Put oil in the pan over medium heat. Sauté ginger, garlic and onions. Add in ground pepper and salt. Then add the mussels and sauté for 2 minutes. Add water and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust taste to your liking. Add the red bell peppers. Check that all mussels are already open and it is done.
Other Seafood Recipes You May Try
HOW TO COOK MUSSELS IN SPICY GINGER BROTH (SPICY TAHONG)
- Cooking Pot
- 1.10 lb Mussels
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 thumbs Ginger sliced in strips
- 1 pc Onion sliced
- 1 tsp Ground Pepper Powder
- 1 pc Red Bell Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 3 pcs Spring onions for garnish
- 3 pcs Hot chilli pepper (Optional) you can substitute it with chilli powder
- Put oil in the pan over medium heat.
- Saute ginger, garlic and onions. Add in ground pepper and salt.
- Then add the mussels and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add water and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust taste to your liking.
- Add the red bell peppers and hot chilli peppers or chilli powder/flakes (if you want it spicy). Check that all mussels are already open and it is done.
- Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy!
- Only use fresh mussels.
- Wash and rinse well the mussels and remove moss if there are attached to it.
- Skip the hot chilli pepper or chilli powder if you do not want yours spicy.