Pork Adobo is a famous Filipino dish that is loved by many. Pork is stewed in soy, vinegar and sugar resulting to a medley of sweet, savory and tangy flavor that everybody loves.
What is Pork Adobo?
Pork Adobo is a Philippine dish that is made with chicken or pork marinated in sauce mixture of soy sauce, sugar, garlic and onions.
This recipe has simple and easy to find ingredients. They are the following:
- Brown Sugar
- Soy sauce
- Bay Leaves
- Cooking oil
How to Make Pork Adobo
Start with the marinade. Mix soy sauce, sugar, garlic and onion. Add the pork to the sauce mixture and marinate the pork for 1 hour or overnight.
Cooking the Adobo
Put oil in a pan and brown the pork meat. Once all the meat are seared and browned, put in the marinade mixture together with the pork. Add bay leaves,vinegar, peppercorn, water. Simmer it until pork becomes tender.If necessary, you may add a bit of water every now and then until pork becomes tender. You can also opt to make your adobo a little dry. However, in my family we love the adobo sauce to be mixed with rice so I retain a little of it.
Other Adobo Variations You can Try
Like any popular dish, it has evolved and has many variations as time pass by. You can make adobo out of pork, chicken, fish and even vegetables.
Here are some adobo cooking style you can try:
Pork Adobo: Filipino Signature Dish
- Cooking Pan
- 500 grams Pork Im using pork belly
- 1/2 cup Soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Vinegar
- 1 tsp Whole Peppercorn
- 2 pcs Bay leaves
- 5 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 cups Water
- 1 medium Onions minced
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
Marinating the Pork
- Mix soy sauce, sugar, garlic and onion.
- Add the pork to the sauce mixture and marinate the pork for 1 hour or overnight.
Cooking the Adobo
- Put oil in a pan and brown the pork meat.
- Once all the meat are seared and browned, put in the marinade mixture together with the pork.
- Add bay leaves, peppercorn, water.
- Simmer and cook for about 25 minutes or until pork becomes tender.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve. Enjoy!