Chicken Tocino is an indispensable breakfast fare for Filipinos. This sweet and savory meat that can be both made from chicken or pork is fantastic for breakfast or even other meal of the day. Why not?
This chicken tocino is a healthier option for breakfast than canned goods. I try to batch make this tocino so that I have something readily available for breakfast.
This recipe is perfect when paired with sunny-side-up eggs and garlic fried rice. It makes for an awesome breakfast or even brunch.
What you Need
Chicken breasts. You can choose to buy readily chopped chicken breast in the supermarket if it is available to save you time in chopping.
Garlic Powder. I love garlic powder and it gives garlicky flavor to this tocino
Annato Powder. For natural coloring. We love the red/ish or orange/y color of our tocino so adding annato powder to this dish is the natural way to go. If it is not available, alternative would be the red food coloring or you may opt to use ketchup.
Soy sauce. You would want to achieve a blend of sweet and savory taste to this recipe. The soy sauce is responsible for the savory taste of this dish.
Sugar. White or red sugar will do, whatever is available at hand with you.
Lemon Soda– I am using sprite softdrink. This is a good tenderizer and adds flavor too.
How to make Homemade Chicken Tocino
Slice thinly the chicken breast. Mix together the soy sauce, sugar, annato powder, garlic powder and sprite in a mixing bowl. Add the chicken and see to it that it is well blended with the mixture. Set aside for 1 hour or overnight to cure the chicken meat.
How to Cook Chicken Tocino
Pour the tocino in a pan together with its sauce. Simmer until the sauce caramelized. Once the sauce becomes thicker, add in cooking oil. Fry the tocino until they are cooked through. Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy.
It is best when eaten with rice and eggs on the side.
How Long can You Store Tocino
This homemade version has no salitre, a food preservative that extends the shelf life of the food. This recipe could last up to 2 weeks when placed in the freezer. You may put it in ziplock or food containers that is enough for your family’s serving.
Other Breakfast Recipes You Can Try
- Tortang Talong (Fried Omelet)
- Ginisang Ampalaya (Stir Fry Bitter Melon with Egg)
- Bacon and Egg Fried Rice
- Champorado (Chocolate Porridge)
Homemade Chicken Tocino
- Frying Pan
- 1.5 lbs Chicken breast thinly sliced, about .75kg
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup Sprite (Lemon Soda)
- 1 tbsp Annato powder
- 1/2 cup Sugar
How to Make Chicken Tocino
- Mix together the soy sauce, sugar, annato powder, garlic powder and sprite in a mixing bowl.
- Add the chicken and see to it that it is well blended with the mixture. Set aside for 1 hour or overnight to cure the chicken meat before cooking.
How to Cook the Chicken Tocino
- Pour the tocino in a pan together with its sauce.
- Simmer until the sauce caramelized.
- Once the sauce becomes thicker, add in cooking oil.
- Fry the chicken tocino until they are cooked through. Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy.
Follow us on:
Pinterest | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube
Be part of our VIP List
Eat easy and yummy foods plus get access to our freebie library.