This pigs in a blanket air fryer is delicious that the young and young at heart will love. It is perfect for snacking or a side to a meal.
What is Pigs in a blanket
Pigs in a blanket refer to any type of small sausage wrapped in a dough or pastry. It is usually served as an appetizer.
It first came out of the kids cookbook at Cooking for Kids by Betty Crocker.
The British and Irish pigs in blankets is different from those that are served in the US. The British version consist of tiny sausages wrapped in bacon. Chipolata pork sausage are commonly used for it.
On the other hand, the US version consist of hotdogs wrapped in a croissant pastry, biscuits or puff pastry.
Ingredients to Make Pigs in a Blanket Air Fryer
There are only a handful of items you need for this recipe. They are the following:
Puff pastry – I am using puff pastry sheets for this air fryer pigs in a blanket.
Cheese – You may use cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
Hotdog – Small hotdogs are ideal for this cooking. However, if you do not have the small one, you may just cut your hotdogs into small pieces just like I did.
Egg – for egg wash
How to Make Pigs in a Blanket Air Fryer
Cut the puff pastry into half. Put five slits at the center of the puff pastry using a knife. You can now wrap the hotdogs.
Layer the hotdog with the cheese then wrap them with the puff pastry. Repeat the process until all hot dogs are wrapped with the puff pastry sheets.
Brush them with the egg wash. Put them in the air fryer basket making sure they have space with each other. Cook for 10 minutes 390F/200C.
The succeeding batch should be cooked only within 6-8 minutes since the air fryer is already heated.
Transfer to a serving plate and serve. You may use mustard or any preferred dipping sauce you may like. Share and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Pigs in a blanket air fryer time.
It can be cooked in the air fryer for 10 minutes without preheating.
However, if you are cooking frozen pigs in a blanket, you may extend the cooking time to 15 minutes. Just check it every now and then.
2. Pigs in a blanket air fryer temperature.
I cooked this at 390F/200C. But remember that air fryers differ so you may check yours every-so-often while cooking.
3. How to make keto pigs in a blanket.
Use a fathead dough instead of puff pastry to make this recipe keto.
4. Can I reheat pigs in a blanket?
They are best eaten when they are freshly cooked. But if you have leftover, you can reheat them by putting them in a preheated air fryer and cook them until they warm up.
Tips and Substitutions
- You may use canned dough or crescent rolls instead of puff pastry.
- If you do not have the mini hotdogs, you can just cut the long hotdogs that you have. You can substitute the hotdogs with sausage.
- You can make this dish simpler by omitting the cheese.
Other Air Fryer Recipes You may Try
Pigs in Blanket in a Blanket Air Fryer
- Air Fryer
- 5 sheets Puff Pastry
- 10 small Hotdogs
- 10 slices Cheese cheddar or mozzarella
- 1 piece Egg
- Cut the puff pastry sheet into half, putting 5 slits crosswise at the center.
- Layer the hotdog and cheese then wrap them in the puff pastry.
- Brush them with the egg wash.
- Put them in the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes at 390F/200C or until cooked.
- Flip the pigs in a blanket halfway while cooking.
- Transfer to a serving plate, share and enjoy.
- You may use mustard, ketchup or whatever dipping sauce you prefer.
- Remember that air fryers differ so check your pigs in a blanket while cooking.
- Give space to your pigs in a blanket while cooking. This way, they will not stick with each other. Work in batches when necessary.