Kani Salad with Sweet Corn and Mango is a light, delicious salad that is made from crab sticks or imitation crab, cucumber, carrots, sweet corn kernels and ripe mango.
My loves like this salad because of its medley of flavors of savory, sweet, crispy and fresh, creamy salad with a mayonnaise based dressing.
Here are simple and easy ingredients for this salad:
Imitation Crab (Crab sticks) – this is one of the main ingredients of this salad. It is made from minced fish called kani surimi mixed with egg whites, starch, wheat, salt and artificial crab flavoring to mimic the taste of real crab.
Carrots – it adds color and freshness of the salad.
Sweet Corn kernel – this provides contrast to the savory crab sticks.
Cucumbers – fresh cucumbers add crispiness to this salad.
Ripe Mango – this adds sweetness to our salad.
Japanese Mayonnaise – this is for our dressing. The Japanese mayonnaise differ with the regular mayo that we have in the sense that it is more creamy and has a rich egg flavor because it only uses the egg yolks while the regular mayo uses the entire egg. It is also more on the acidic side with a taste that is tangier and sweeter.
Lettuce – I am using iceberg lettuce with my salad. However, you may use other kinds of lettuce like the romaine or the curly lettuce variety.
Lime – this adds contrast and flavor to our salad.
Salt and Pepper – for flavors. Add as needed.
How to Make Kani Salad
To start, prepare all your ingredients. Peel the cucumber and slice the green outer part of it, cutting into julienne. Discard the core with the seeds.
Press the crab sticks and shred them into strips and set aside.
Peel and slice the carrots and cut into julienne as well same with the mangoes.
Drain about 1 cup of sweet corn kernels in a tin.
Once all ingredients are ready, place them in a mixing bowl and add the Japanese mayonnaise. Toss to combine. Transfer to a plate with a bed of lettuce and sprinkle lime juice before serving.
Other Salad Recipes You May Try
Kani Salad With Sweet Corn and Mango
- Mixing Bowl
- 1.5 cup Imitation Crab or Crab sticks shred into strips
- 1 medium Carrot julienned
- 1 medium Cucumber julienned, core removed
- 1 cup Sweet Corn Kernel well-drained
- 1 medium Ripe Mango julienned
- 1/2 cup Japanese Mayonnaise
- 1/2 slice Lemon
- Ground Pepper
- Prepare all the ingredients. Press the crab sticks and shred it into strips and set aside.
- Peel the cucumber and slice the green outer part of it, cutting into julienne. Discard the core with the seeds.
- Peel the carrots and cut into pieces about 2-3 inches long. Slice it into julienne. Do the same with the mango.
- Drain 1 cup of sweet corn kernels in a can and set aside.
- Once all ingredients are ready, place them in a mixing bowl and add the Japanese mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper as needed. Toss to combine. Transfer to a plate with a bed of lettuce and sprinkle lime juice before serving. Serve immediately.
- If you are preparing it for later, you may refrigerate the kani ingredients and do not mixed it yet with the mayonnaise. Add the Japanese mayonnaise and toss to mix just right before your serve it.
- You can omit the salt and ground pepper if the flavors is good enough for you.
Follow us on: