Jackfruit Smoothie with Lemon is a refreshing drink to beat the summer heat. We have been consuming jackfruit lately and it is such a treat to eat those juicy, sweet, perfectly ripe jackfruit pods.
Thanks to Momma for sending us a whole ripe jackfruit. It is such a big fruit that Mom gave us. Aside from feasting on its ripe pods as soon as we opened the fruit, we are making this smoothie aside from jackfruit jam.
What is Jackfruit
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit that is widely grown in Asia and is native to India.
It is also grown in Africa and South America.
It is not widely cultivated in the US but it is grown in Florida and Hawaii.
It has a bumpy and spiky skin and grow in the branches or trunk of the jack tree. It has an oblong shape and can really grow big and has a very strong smell.
Jackfruit is widely enjoyed all over the world and became famous with vegan and vegetarian community as meat substitute.
There are a lot of delicious recipes that uses unripe, young green jackfruit as it absorbs all the flavors that it is mixed with as the unripe one is bland and tasteless in itself.
Tinned young green jackfruit can be found in stores for you to enjoy especially if you are in a vegan/vegetarian diet.
The ripe jackfruit is sweet, juicy and can be devoured on its own. However, you can also make it into a candy, jam, or made into a juice or smoothie.
How to open a jackfruit
If you got a whole jackfruit, you got to open it. Here are some tips for you.
- Before cutting the jackfruit, put oil into the knife that you will use to cut it, including your hands so that it will be easy to remove the latex that will stick into your knife and hands.
- Cut the jackfruit in half and then into quarters.
- Remove the white core that is in the center of the jackfruit by gliding your knife just above the individual pods of the fruit. You can now easily pull the pods, remove the seeds and eat its sweet, juicy meat.
There are only few ingredients for this delicious and filling smoothie. Here are the following:
2 cups Frozen Ripe Jackfruit – This is the main star of this smoothie. We purposely freeze the jackfruit meat so that we do not need to add ice to it.
1/4 cup Calamansi/Lime juice – I only have one lemon and its juice is not enough. So I gathered some calamansi fruit from my home garden.
The citrus juice I use for this smoothie is a combination of lemon and calamondin. Feel free to use either of the two, whatever is available to you.
3 tablespoons Condensed milk . The ripe jackfruit is already sweet on its own but I added a bit of condensed milk to make it sweeter because that how my loves like their smoothie.
Feel free to skip this and substitute other plant-based milk. You may also use other sweeteners such as maple syrup, honey or any sweet syrup of your choice.
1 cup Cold Water – To loosen the consistency of the smoothie. Feel free to adjust based on your personal preference as to the thickness of your smoothie.
For garnish (optional):
chia seeds – I still have available chia seeds so I topped my smoothie with it for added texture and health benefits.
Mint leaves – Mint grow abundantly in my home garden so I added it for garnish.
How to Make Jackfruit Smoothie
Put the jackfruit frozen meat to the blender and add condensed milk.
Pulse for about 5 times and gradually increase the blender speed. Add a the lemon or calamondin (calamansi) juice and add a bit of water.
Adjust taste to your liking. Transfer to a glass and garnish with chia seeds and mint leaves. Enjoy!
Other Drinks You May Try
JACKFRUIT SMOOTHIE WITH LEMON
- 2 cups Frozen Ripe Jackfruit seeds removed
- 1/4 cup Lemon or Calamondin Juice
- 3 tablespoons Condensed Milk
- 1 cup Cold Water add more if needed
- Chia Seeds
- Mint Leaves
- Put the jackfruit frozen meat to the blender and add condensed milk.
- Pulse for about 5 times and gradually increase the blender speed. Add the lemon or calamondin (calamansi) juice and add a bit of water. Blend again.
- Adjust taste to your liking. Transfer to a glass and garnish with chia seeds and mint leaves. Enjoy!
Follow us on:
Pinterest | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube
Be part of our VIP List
Eat easy and yummy foods plus get access to our freebie library.