Bulalo is a comfort food for many Filipinos. It is made from beef shank and its bone marrow, stewed until tender that its meat falls off from its bone.
What is Bulalo?
Bulalo is a Filipino soup dish that is made from stewing beef shank with its bone marrow. It is cooked until very tender that its meat sometimes fall off from the bone.
Its broth is made flavorful by adding corn, potato, vegetables and spices such as peppercorn, onions and garlic.
There are many bulalo restaurants or carenderias in the Philippines as many love this flavorful soup.
The way of cooking this recipe has many variations over time. Many cooked it with some added ingredients such as tomato sauce, peanut butter, etc. However, I am keeping this recipe simple by just using the basic ingredients.
Summary of Ingredients:
- Beef Shank
- Cabbage – this can be substituted with pechay and bok choi
- Spring Onions
- Toasted garlic
- Lemon Grass
Bulalo Recipe (Beef Shank and Bone Marrow Soup with Lemon Grass)
- Cooking Pot
- 1 kl Beef Shank
- 6 pcs Potatoes peeled
- 1 pc Sweet yellow corn cut into pieces
- 2 pcs Spring Onions cut into pieces
- 1/2 tbsp Toasted Garlic
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp Peppercorn
- 1 pc Bay leaves
- pinch Salt
- 1 pc Lemon grass
- 1 tbsp Magic Sarap for flavor
- Place 6 cups of water in a cooking pan. Bring it to a boil.
- Add the beef to the boiling water until slightly tender. Skim off fat as needed.
- Add the garlic, onions, peppercorn and bay leaf. Simmer until beef is very tender. You may add water occasionally as needed.
- Add corn and potato and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage, spring onions and lemon grass.
- Season with salt and magic sarap to taste. Top it with the toasted garlic.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy.
- You may substitute magic sarap with Knorr beef cubes or sugar.
Be part of our VIP List
Eat easy and yummy foods plus get access to our freebie library.