Air Fryer Calamari or air fryer squid rings is a delicious appetizer that will sure to tickle your taste buds. It is crisp and soft. Yummy and perfect appetizer for your meal.
This calamari air fryer is as good as its deep fried version with less oil of course. It is one of the air fryer recipes that my loves enjoy.
2 cups calamari rings – medium size calamari, cleaned and cut into rings
1 cup All purpose flour – used for breading
1/4 cup milk – this is used to soak the calamari to make it tender
1 egg – to bind the calamari with the breadcrumbs
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs – we use this to coat the calamari. Use your preferred brand as there are many in the market.
salt and pepper
How to Cook Air Fried Calamari Rings
Cooking calamari in air fryer is just easy. Prepare the calamari rings and pat it dry. Season it with salt and ground pepper. Place all purpose flour in one bowl, combine egg and milk in another bowl and put seasoned breadcrumbs on the third bowl.
Coat the squid rings with the flour then soak them to the egg and milk mixture then finally to the seasoned breadcrumbs.
Preheat your air fryer. Place the squid rings in the air fryer. Spray with vegetable oil and cook for 8 minutes. Shake or flip the calamari rings halfway while cooking and spray again with cooking oil if needed. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with your preferred dipping sauce.
Sauce for Calamari
You have various options for you calamari dipping sauce. You can go with the classic Italian style which is the tomato-based sauce or you can go with your preferred, favorite sauce. Here are some options for you.
- Tomato sauce
- Mayonnaise and ketchup combo
- Ketchup and mustard
Frequently Asked Questions about cooking Calamari Rings in Air Fryer
How to Cook Frozen Calamari Rings in air fryer
Cooking frozen calamari in the air fryer is just easy peasy. Preheat your air fryer first. Then place the frozen calamari rings in the air fryer. Remember not to overcrowd your air fryer so that the calamari will cook evenly. Flip the calamari rings halfway through while cooking.
What is the frozen calamari air fryer time
Cooking time for frozen calamari rings in the air fryer is 8-12 minutes depending on the size of the squid rings and the kind of your air fryer.
Can I cook air fried calamari without breading
Yes. You can cook raw calamari in the air fryer without breading. However, it will have a different texture than the one with the breading.
How to Make this recipe gluten free
You can make this calamari gluten-free by using gluten-free flour of your choice such as corn starch or sweet white rice flour.
How to Make fried calamari air fryer keto?
Calamari or squid is already keto or low-carb in itself. It is the added breading and oil that are adding carbs to it. To make your calamari keto, simply choose breading that are keto and go easy with the oil that you add to your calamari.
Is Calamari good for you and what are calamari benefits
Calamari contains vitamins and minerals and a good source of protein. However, the deep fried version can have added calories that is unhealthy for you.
Air Fryer Calamari
- Air Fryer
- 2 cups Calamari rings cleaned
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1 cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- Cooking oil
- Pat dry the calamari rings and season it with salt and ground pepper.
- Place all purpose flour in one bowl, combine egg and milk in another bowl and put seasoned breadcrumbs on the third bowl.
- Coat the squid rings with the flour then soak them to the egg and milk mixture then finally to the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Preheat your air fryer. Place the squid rings in the air fryer. Spray with vegetable oil and cook for 8 minutes at 180F. Shake or flip the calamari rings halfway while cooking and spray again with cooking oil if needed.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve with your preferred dipping sauce.
- Do not overcrowd your air fryer. Work in batches if needed.
- Flip the calamari rings when you are halfway in your cooking.