CHICKEN MACARONI SOUP (FILIPINO SOPAS)
Chicken macaroni soup is a popular Filipino soup consisting of chicken mixed with some veggies like carrots and cabbage or pechay added with elbow macaroni and made creamy by adding either milk or all-purpose cream. It is delicious, creamy, hearty and filling.
Servings: 4 people
- 1.5 cup Cooked Shredded Chicken meat
- 2 cups Elbow macaroni
- 1 medium Carrots cut in strips
- 1/2 cup Pechay leaves sliced in small pieces
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 cup All Purpose Cream
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 5 cups Water for boiling chicken
- 2 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
Boil chicken for 5-10 minutes or until chicken is done.
Remove chicken from the broth. Shred the chicken meat and discard the chicken bones. Set aside shredded chicken meat and the water where you boiled your chicken as we will use it as a broth later.
Heat cooking oil and butter in a pan under low-medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic then add the shredded chicken and carrots and sauté in 2-3 minutes. Add the 3 cups of chicken broth, the water you used when you boiled the chicken and bring to a boil.
Add salt, pepper, chicken cube and bring to a boil again. Add the elbow macaroni and cook for another 8 minutes or until macaroni is al dente.
Add the pechay leaves and the all-purpose cream and simmer for 1 minute and its done.
Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy.
- You can substitue pechay leaves with cabbage.
- You may substitute all purpose cream with evaporated milk.
- You may add water as needed as the macaroni absorbs liquid as you cook it.